Brant homeowner, landlord fined for lack of smoke, CO alarms

Posted by

The owner of a St. George home heavily damaged by fire has been charged for failing to take mandatory precautions.

Brant Fire Chief Michael Seth is reminding home owners, landlords and business owners to check their smoke and CO alarms.

The recent house fire in St. George resulted in the home owner being charged with failure to install smoke and carbon monoxide alarms as required. The total fine was $360.

In addition, a local landlord pled guilty in provincial offences court to one count of failure to install a smoke alarm where required and one count of failure to install a carbon monoxide alarm where required in a rental unit on Burtch Road.

“Take time today, not tomorrow, to install and check smoke and CO alarms,” Seth said. “When a smoke alarm sounds, you may only have one to two minutes to escape. Every second counts.”

The County of Brant Fire Department reminds residents that it is the law to have working smoke alarms on every storey of your home and outside all sleeping areas. Carbon monoxide alarms are required to be installed outside all sleeping areas. For more information, please contact the fire department at 519-442-4500.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s